Shaljam Ka Bharta Recipe: Many people don’t like to eat the turnip, but they like to eat Shaljam(turnip) Ka Bharta Recipe. This spicy mix will bring a unique taste to your food.
- 4 or 300 gram turnip
- 2 or 200 gram tomatoes
- 2 green chilly
- ½ cup peas
- 2-3 tablespoon green coriander leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- ½ pinch heeng
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or as required
Methods: How to Make Shaljam Ka Bharta | Spicy Mashed Turnip Recipe
- Wash and peel off the shalgam. Cut off the upper part of the turnip and wash it in the cup filled with water. Cut the turnip into ½-½ inch pieces.
- Make a paste of tomato and green chili.
- Heat the cooker and add 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is heated, put half cumin seeds in it. Slow down the gas, add the remaining spices – asafoetida, ½ teaspoon ginger paste, half turmeric powder and half coriander powder. Fry the spices lightly. After this, put the shalgam, half red chili powder and half salt. Fry the shaljam with spices for 1 minute. Then, add ¼ cup of water to it and mix it. Close the lid of the cooker and let the shaljam boil over a high flame until it gets 1 whistle. After the whistling, let the shaljam boil for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- During this time, prepare the masala. For this, add 1 table spoon oil in the pan and let it warm. Put the remaining cumin seeds in the oil. Slow down the heat and add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, ginger paste, and fry the spices lightly. Add tomato and green chilli paste to the spice, and then medium the flame. Put the remaining red chilli powder in the pan. Fry it until oil separates from spices. Keep the spices stirring for a little while.
- Add peas and mix them in the spices. Cover the peas and let them cook on medium flame for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, check peas and press them. If the peas are pressed, so peas are soft. Add sugar and remaining salt to it and mix it.
- Shalgam has boiled in 5 minutes. After releasing the pressure, open it and check the checkout. Mash the boiled Shaljam with spices so that the spices taste good in it.
- add the turnip in the pan in which the masala roasted. Add garam masala and green coriander and mix all the ingredients. Cover the pan and let it cook on medium flame for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, squeeze the ½ teaspoon lemon juice into the bharta and mix it well. Take the out the shaljam ka bharta in a plate.
- Garnish it with a little green coriander. Serve spicy mashed turnip with Chapati, Paratha, Naan or Rice.
- Enough for 3 to 4 members
- If you want to put onion garlic, then add finely chopped 1 small onion and 4 to 5 garlic buds after the cumin fry until light pink. Make the rest as per the above method.
- You can also make the bharta without peas and sugar.
- If you prefer more sour vegetables then you can also increase lemon juice.