Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal)
- 1 medium size onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves(lehsun ki kali), finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
- 3 cups water
- 5 tablespoon ghee/oil/butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch heeng (asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt as per your taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash arhar dal properly, then add them to a pressure cooker and add 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Take up to 3 whistles on high flame, then lower the flame and take only 1 whistle. Let it cool on its own.
- Take a pan for tempering and heat ghee / oil / butter on medium flame. Add cumin seeds. Once they change in color, add a pinch of heeng (asafoetida) and stir.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chili, sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Stir and fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes till they become soft and puply.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Add boiled dal to tadka and mix well.
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.