Preparation Time: 8-9 hours
Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
For Dal Makhani:
- ¾ Cup or 150 grams whole urad dal (Sabut kali urad)
- ¼ cup or 50 grams rajma (kidney beans)
- 4 cups water for cooking
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chilly (Hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 200 grams tomato puree or 3 blended large tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tej patta
- 2-3 crushed long
- 4-5 crushed green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 crushed black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 cup low fat cream to mix in dal while cooking
- 2 tablespoon low fat cream for garnishing
- 2-3 tablespoon salted or unsalted butter for cooking
- Salt as per your taste
For Smoky Flavor(Optional):
- 1 small piece of charcoal
- ½ teaspoon or few drops of oil
Preparation for dal makhani (Punjabi dal makhani):
- Soak both urad dal and rajma overnight in enough amount of water for at least 6-7 hour.
- Drain the water in the morning or after completing 6-7 hours and wash them twice with clean water. Now drain all the water from it.
- Now transfer the urad dal and rajma in a pressure cooker and add 4 cups of water to it. Now close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the dal on high flame for up to 3-4 whistle, then lower the flame for at least 15-20 minutes. And let them cook till they cooked properly and become softened. You can also cook the dal till the water coming out from the whistle start looking thickened. Now switch off the flame and let it cool.
- Now open the pressure cooker and mash the dal and rajma with a spoon; the texture of the dal should be creamy, if it is not then you have to take some more whistle.
Method for Cooking Dal Makhani:
- Take a pan and heat it on medium flame, now add butter and let it melt and heated.
- Now add cumin seeds, tej patta, crushed cloves, crushed green cardamom, crushed black cardamom, and cinnamon powder. Sauté till the aroma of the whole spices started coming out.
- Add ginger garlic paste. And saute it till the aroma of the ginger garlic goes away.
- Then add finely chopped onion and chopped green chilly together. Stir fry the then till onions become light golden in color.
- Now add tomato puree or blended tomatoes and stir them.
- Now add red chili powder, nutmeg powder and garam masala.
- Stir and sauté the mixture on low to medium flame, till it start release oil from the side.
- Now add this mixture to cooked urad dal and rajma. And also add some water if required, otherwise no need to add.
- Stir properly and cook the uncovered dal on low flame for about 20-25 minutes. And keep on stirring while cooking as dal could be burned at the bottom of the cooker or pan.
- When the gravy of the dal thickened enough, it means that it is almost done, then at this stage add ½ cup cream and stir it very well. Now switch off the flame.
- Now add hand crushed kasuri methi and close the lid of the cooker or pan.
Method of Giving Smoky Flavor to it:
- Heat or burnt the charcoal piece on high flame and keep on turning, so that it can burn evenly. When it starts looking red hot, switch off the flame and place the charcoal in a small bowl.
- Pour few drops of oil over the charcoal. Immediately it will start release somke.
- Then place this charcoal bowl instantly on the top of the dal makhani. It should be floating on the surface of the dal.
- And now close the lid of the cooker or pan, so that smoke released by the charcoal can mixed up with the dal and can give it a nice smoky flavor.
- Remove the charcoal after 1-2 minutes.
- Now your Punjabi dal makhani is ready serve.
- While serving garnish it with a teaspoon of cream.
- If you don’t have low fat cream, then you can use the normal milk cream which is available at home.
- If you will use tomato puree rather than blended tomatoes, it will taste more likely to restaurant style.