About Raspberry Vacherin – A vacherin is made of layers of crisp meringue sandwiched together with fruit and cream. It makes a fabulous gateau for special occasions.
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 min
Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 3 Eggs whites
- 175 grams or ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn flour (cornstarch)
- 25 gram grated dark chocolate
- 175 gram dark chocolate
- 450 ml or 2 cups double (heavy) cream, whipped
- 350 grams fresh raspberries
- Melted chocolate, to decorate
- Draw 3 rectangles, 10 x 25 cm/4 x 10 inches, on sheets of baking parchment paper, and place on 2 baking trays (cookie sheets).
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until it makes the soft standing peaks, then gently whisk in half of the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is very stiff and glossy.
- Cautiously, fold in the rest of the sugar, the corn flour (cornstarch) and grated chocolate with a metal spoon or a spatula.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping nozzle (tip) and pipe lines across the rectangles.
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 140°C /275°F/Gas mark1, for 1 ½ hours. Changing the positions of the baking trays (cookie sheets) halfway through. Without opening the oven door, turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in the oven, and then peel away the paper.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate and spread it over 2 of the meringue layers. Leave the filling to harden.
- Place 1 chocolate-coated meringue on a plate and top with about 1/3rd of the cream and raspberries. Gently place the second chocolate-coated meringue on the top and spread with half of the remaining cream and raspberries.
- Place the last meringue on the top and decorate it with the remaining cream and raspberries. Sprinkle a little melted chocolate over the top of the vacherin and serve.