Ghevar, a famous sweet of India is very special sweet for the festival of Sawan and Rakhi. We are staying in India, so we get it easily in the market, but those who are staying in other country, they cannot find it easily over there. You can make it at home too. It seems like it will be difficult to make, but it is very easy. Let’s make a Ghevar today.
For Ghevar Sweets:
- 250 g or 2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 50 g or ¼ cup ghee
- 50 g or ¼ cup milk (doodh)
- 800 g or 4 cup water (pani)
- Ghee or oil to fry Ghevar
- 8-10 ice cubes
For making Sugar Syrup (chashni):
- 400g or 2 cups sugar (chini)
- 200g or 1 cup water (pani)
- Mix Nuts (almonds, pistachio, cashew, raisins)
Method of How to make Ghevar:
- Sieve the all purpose flour (maida) in a bowl and keep aside.
- Put ghee in a large bowl, and pour ice on it, whisk the ghee and ice cubes together with hand, until it becomes like cream consistency, then remove the pieces of ice cubes and whisk again the creamy ghee till it becomes a smooth cream.
- Now add flour to a little and whisk it again, When it start getting thick, add milk and add whole water in small portions and mix all the flour in small portions. Mix and whisk well until it becomes a smooth batter. Please note there should not be any lumps left.
- Consistency of the batter should be very thin and pouring.
- Heat ghee / oil in a pan. The quantity of the ghee should be less than half of the pan height. After ghee is heated properly, means if you put any drop of the flour batter in the hot ghee, then it starts flowing up and floating instantly.
- Take a spoon full of batter and start pouring with a very thin flowing stream into the ghee. When batter will start scatter into the ghee. Then again take a spoonful of batter and pour again into the ghee. Repeat the process until you get the desired thickness of the ghevar.
- Wait for 1-2 minutes to pour the second spoon of batter. Let it finish the foam appearing on the ghee. Now again after adding the second spoon of batter. You will see that ghee is filled with foam again, wait 1-2 minutes again to finish the foaming.
- The batter should be pour in the middle of the pan, the batter goes down into the bottom and floats back up and makes the layer reaching the top of the first layer, if there is no space in the middle portion, then you can get a thin stick or spoon and Remove the batter from the middle and make a little space. Keep adding the batter from this place until the size of the ghevar gets corrected.
- If you have added enough batter. Now let it cook on medium flame until it becomes golden brown in color. Now take out the ghevar from the ghee in a plate. Prepare all the ghevar in the same way.
For making sugar syrup of 2 strings:
- Take a pan and add 1 cup of water and 2 cups of sugar. And put it on a medium to high flame for 5-6 minutes after boiling the water.
- Drop the syrup from the spoon to a plate, sticking between the fingers and the thumb when cooled.
- Look, it should stick between the finger and the thumb, and there should be 2 strings forms of sugar syrup.
- The syrup has been prepared.
For sweeten the ghevar:
- Cool down the sugar syrup, so that you can touch it with your hands. Take a plate and place a cup on the plate. Now place the ghevar on the top of the cup. Pour the sugar syrup on the entire surface of the ghevar with the spoon, it will go down and fall on the plate by sweetening the ghevar.
- Pour the syrup according to the sweetness more or less you want.
- Sweeten all the ghevar in the same way.
- Let this ghevar dry in the air for 1 hour, now your sweet ghee is ready.
- You can eat them right now, and also you can store the remaining ghevar in the air tight container for upto two weeks.
- The topping of the rabdi and nuts on the ghevar makes it even more tasty.