About Chocolate & Walnut Cake – This walnut-studded chocolate cake has a tasty chocolate butter icing. It is perfect for coffee mornings as it can easily be made the day before.
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 35 min
Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
For Cake Batter
- 4 Eggs
- 125g or ½ cup caster sugar
- 125g or 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 25g or 2 tbsp melted butter
- 75g melted dark chocolate
- 150g or 1 ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 75g dark chocolate
- 125g or ½ cup butter
- 200g or 1 ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Walnut halves to decorate
For cake batter:
- Grease an 18 cm / 7 inch deep round cake tin and line the base. Place the eggs and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk with electric beater or egg beater for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is light and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail that lasts a few seconds when lifted.
- Sieve together the flour and cocoa powder and fold in with a metal spoon or spatula. Fold in the melted butter and chocolate, and the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven, at 160°C /325°F/Gas mark3, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cold cake into 2 layers.
- To make the icing, melt the dark chocolate and leave to cool slightly. Beat together the butter, icing sugar and milk in a bowl until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Sandwich the 2 cake layers with some of the icing and place on a serving plate. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the cake with a palette knife (spatula), swirling it slightly as you do so. Decorate the cake with the walnut halves and serve.