About Chocolate Tea Bread – What better in the afternoon than to sit down with a cup of tea and a slice of chocolate tea bread, and when it’s made of chocolate it’s even better.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 min
Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
For Cake Batter
- 175 g or ¾ cup butter, softened
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 g dark chocolate chips
- 100 g or ½ cup raisins
- 50 g or ½ cup chopped walnuts finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 225 g or 2 cups self-raising flour
- Lightly grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. If the mixture begins to curdle. Beat in 1-2 tablespoon of the flour.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts and orange rind. Sieve (strain) the flour and carefully fold it into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and make slight dip in the center of the top with the back of spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven, at 170°C /325°F/Gas mark3, for 1 hour or until a fine skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, before carefully turning out and leaving on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the chocolate tea bread cut into thin slices.