About Chocolate Almond Cake – Chocolate and almonds complement each other perfectly in this delicious cake. Be warned, one slice will never be enough!
Preparation Time: 50 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Note: 1 Cup = 250 ml
For Cake Batter
- 175 g dark chocolate
- 175 g or ¾ cup butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 50g or 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 125g or 1 ¼ cups ground almonds
- 1 tsp almond flavoring extract
- 125g milk chocolate
- 25g or 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp double heavy cream
- 25g or 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 25g melted dark chocolate
- Lightly grease and line the base of 23 cm / 9inch round springform tin. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a small pan with the butter. Heat gently, stirring until melted and well combined.
- Place 100g / 7 tbsp of the caster sugar in a bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until pale and creamy. Add the melted chocolate mixture, beating until well combined.
- Sieve the cream of tartar and flour together and fold into the chocolate mixture with the ground almonds and almond flavoring extract.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until standing in soft peaks. Add the remaining caster sugar and whisk for about 2 minutes by hand, or 45-60 seconds, if using an electric whisk, until thick and glossy. Fold the eggs whites into the chocolate mixture and spoon into tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C /375°F/Gas mark5, for 40 minutes until just springy to the touch. Let cool.
- Heat the topping ingredients in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Remove from the heat and beat for 2 minutes. Let chill for 30 minutes. Transfer the cake to a plate and spread with the topping. Scatter with the almonds and drizzle with melted chocolate. Leave to set for 2 hours before serving.