Achari Karela Recipe: A simple method of making spicy bitter gourds coated with tasty Pickle Masala.
- 250 g or 5 karela
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ pinch asafetida
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon dry mango powder
- 5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 5 teaspoon fennel powder
- 2 teaspoon salt or as required
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- To make bitter gourd, Wash the bitter gourd with water and dry it until it dry. Cut stalk from both sides of bitter gourd into 1-1.5 inch pieces. Put the chopped pieces in a bowl and add 1 tbsp of salt in these pieces and mix them. Keep the bitter gourd (karelas) for 15-20 minutes. This reduces the bitterness of the bitter gourd.
- After 20 minutes, clean the karas with clean water twice by mixing them with a strainer.
- Put 1.5-2 cup water in the vessel and cover it for boiling. When the water is boiled, remove the lid and put the strained bitter gourd with the strainer on the pot and cover the bitter gourd and let it cook in steam for 5 minutes on high flame.
- After 5 minutes check the bitter gourd, if they are cooked, stop the gas and keep the sieve away from the pot and keep it aside.
- Put the pan on the gas and heat it, add 4 tablespoons of oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and mustard seeds and fry the spices lightly. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, bitter gourd, salt, red chili powder and amchur powder and mix well. Cover the karelas and cook for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- After 4 minutes, check the bitter gourd whether it has softened or not and mix them well and stir it well. Let them cook again for 3-4 minutes without covering them.
- Bitter gourd is ready. Turn off the gas and get the karelas in the bowl.
- Spicy bitter gourds filled with tasty flavors are ready. They can eat with chapati, parantha, puri or naan.
- Spicy Achari Karela can be eaten for 5-6 days by keeping the bitter gourd in the fridge.
- The karela can be cooked in boiling water instead of cooking them in steam. For this, put the bitter gourd in water and boil for 5 minutes and then remove the water and make the karelas according to the above method.